>For you DNS gurus.  Sorry for the off-topic post.  We just transferred a
>domain from a web host that went out of business and put our nameserver
>information in this morning as authoritative.  I just ran the DNS tools on
>the declude site and it shows the root servers as still pointing to the old
>host (whose nameservers are not alive).

Although it can technically take as long as 5 days for the information to
get from the registrar to the root servers, in practice it takes about 24
hours (usually no longer than 48 hours).  Once the root servers are updated:

>The TTL is listed as TTL=172800 (which I pray is in seconds).  My question
>is will the root servers update
>within the next 24 hours from the registrar or does the TTL have to expire?

The TTL is in seconds.  The root servers have the NS records set with a 48
hour TTL (172800 seconds).  That means that once the root servers are
updated, any DNS servers that have tried looking up the domain in the past
48 hours will still try connecting to the old nameservers.  But, the good
news is that any DNS servers that don't have the old NS records cached will
go to the root servers.

So the whole process should take about 3 days or so, but could be a bit
more or less.

site at http://www.declude.com .