-----Original Message-----
From: R. Scott Perry [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

>>In addition, I think that both Reserved space (IANA and RFC1918)
>>should get blackholed when hop 0 and inbound from the Internet.
>
>That should not be a problem -- that would only happen if the spammer
>forges their IP address, which I've never seen happen (although I once
>heard of a rumor of it happening).  And, that (for hop 0) is something that

>would best be handled by a firewall, as a spoofed IP.

I would caution against automatically blocking private address space
incoming for hop 0, or at least make it a configurable option, since we have
many customer that connect to our private network using private address
space, including their mail servers which must be able to connect to our
IMail server and deliver mail (we translate to public address space at our
firewalls when going out to the Internet).  This is primarily because our
customers are all healthcare entities who need to be able to communicate
with each other privately and securely due to Federal regulations imposed by
the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) requirements
of keeping confidential, patient identifiable data, private and secured.

Healthcare may not be the only industry that has privacy and confidentiality
requirements, consider the legal and financial industries.  Anyway, all I'm
asking is that the blocking of IANA and RFC1918 addresses be a configurable
option.  The reality is that this address space is not even routable via the
public Internet anyway, so you should never see a connection coming from the
Internet using this address space.

Bill