Bill,

Every situation is different.  I use HOPHIGH 4 and I'm very satisfied.
My reasons are:

1.  I have a client who has mail processing issues and I end up relaying
a lot of their inbound and outbound mail.  Since they get about 500
pieces of spam a day I want to get maximum protection and eliminate the
handling of the bounces, which I end up with when their server rejects
them. On the outbound side I get everything after their server gets it's
three tries which means I handle most of their garbage.  I also dump all
my outbound retries to another mail server after three attempts to keep
that load off of the Imail server and to provide deferred messages to
the user which IMail doesn't do (one of my gripes with IMail).

2.  I also have 2 mail servers which can relay to my IMail server.  I've
discovered over time that many e-mail systems do not send to the highest
priority MX but seem to randomly select an MX record so a portion of my
mail comes through the relays even when everything's working just fine.
These situations could be handled by IPBYPASS but things then get
further complicated by mail being forwarded from other e-mail accounts
such as att.net.  These come from a variety of mail servers and I don't
want to have to continually check all of the valid IP's of all of the
forwarders and try to keep that list up to date.

One consideration to keep in mind is that you want to use a robust DNS
server for IMail in this situation since you're going to pound the s---
out of it.  I use a DNS that's dedicated to IMail requests.  I also
force responses from confirmed authoritative DNS's to avoid spoofing,
which means more of a load on my DNS.

George Kulman
Partner
Ridge Systems, L.L.C.