From: "R. Scott Perry"
Sent: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 08:22:33 -0400
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] Recommendation: Symbol Wildcard
 forFilters

> > That's something that a number of people have requested, but has two
> > drawbacks: It requires lots of programming time to create, and lots of CPU
> > time.
>
>Hmmm...  Not to be a pest, but I'm wondering if this wouldn't actually
>IMPROVE performance?

The problem is that it requires going through the E-mail one character at a
time and running a test against each of the filters.  Each of those tests
is much more involved than a string match (which most of the time just
requires comparing 2 bytes).

If all that is being added is a single character that is used to replace a
single character, it wouldn't be so bad.  But once you go a step beyond
that -- a single character representing punctuation but not letters, for
example, or "*", or regexp expressions, it can get much more complex quickly.

>RULE "free~" finds "free" "free!" "free." "free?" etc. but not "freedom"
>or "freeze" -- all in one pass.  It covers STARTSWITH, CONTAINS, IS and
>ENDSWITH in one shot.
>
>RULE "~sex" finds "sex" "sexy" "sexiest" "sexaholic" "sex!!!" etc. but
>not "Essex" or "unisex" -- all in one pass.  Again, operators
>STARTSWITH, CONTAINS, IS and ENDSWITH are all covered.  One rule.

True -- it would likely save CPU time over having multiple filter entries.

Again, this is something that we are looking into, but we just haven't made
any final decisions about.