-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Dan Geiser
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 2:36 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] Tuning Declude

Hey, Scott!

> > >From my point of view, a false positive is a false positive is a false
> >positive.  I just need to make sure that a message has to fail more than
the
> >BADHEADERS test to get rejected.
>
> On the other hand, with this attitude, it will be impossible to stop
> viruses in the future.

I guess I'm a little unclear on why virus checking would have any overlap
with spam checking.

> The problem is that detecting malformed E-mail is a very important part of
> the process in stopping spam and viruses, as many spamware programs use
> broken headers (or let the spammers create their own headers), and viruses
> will take advantage of known vulnerabilities.

I understand that it is an important part of the process for spam.  I don't
necessarily see what that has to do with viruses.  Are a lot of Virus
Protection Vendors checking broken e-mail headers to intercept spam?

> Having an occasional spam come through so you can get legitimate E-mail
> from broken mailers may be acceptable.  But what happens when you have to
> choose between accepting legitimate mail from broken mailers or protecting
> yourself against viruses?

Obviously protecting yourself from viruses would always win out over
receiving legitimate e-mail.  We aren't going to let a virus into our system
just so someone can receive an e-mail message.  If a legitimate e-mail is
being tracked as a virus we would have no choice but to get the sender to
change something on their end.

> There are a number of recently discovered
> vulnerabilities that some legitimate mailers are using (unintentionally,
of
> course), that *must* be blocked (without blocking them, future viruses
will
> be allowed to bypass virus scanners on the mailserver).

I see what your saying there.

> It's also very important to remember that lots of this legitimate broken
> E-mail gets lost, anyways.  Many mailservers will block such E-mail.  And
> in many cases, the mail gets lost in inboxes.

I understand that when possible broken e-mail needs to be fixed.

> It's a choice of dealing with it now or dealing with it later.  Waiting
> means that you'll receive more spam now, and you'll probably have to get
> hit with a virus outbreak before dealing with the problem, which can be
> very costly.

Well, obviously I'm dealing with it now.

> Of course, the choice is completely up to you, and only you can know your
> unique situation well enough to determine whether or not to allow such
> E-mail through.

Specifically what type of e-mail are you talking about?

> > > The only legitimate mail that the BADHEADERS test catches is mail that
has
> > > broken headers (which may never reach you anyways).  Whenever
legitimate
> > > E-mail fails the BADHEADERS test, I strongly recommend fixing the
> > > problem.  In most cases, blocking based on the BADHEADERS test alone
is
> > > very useful.
> >
> >So how would you recommend fixing the problem?
>
> We are always willing to deal with legitimate companies who have products
> that are sending out broken E-mail (either failing the BADHEADERS test in
> Declude JunkMail, or getting caught as vulnerabilities with Declude
> Virus).  In the majority of cases, though, upgrading to the latest version
> of the software used to send the mail is all that is required (and if
> someone is sending broken mail and isn't willing to upgrade, they have to
> accept the consequences).

Is there any way to tell what about a particular message raises the
BADHEADERS flag?

Thanks for all of your help!

Dan Geiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.