SpamCop is just as bad.  We run a web server for an associate who lives in another city.  One of his customers has some java scripts on a site for free download.  A spammer in Taiwan has added one of those scripts into the html on his advertisement.  The script includes a reference to the download site and the name of the author of the script.  SpamCop picks up on that, traces the IP of that web site to us, and sends a complaint about a "spamvertised" site.  The URL for the so-called "spamvertised" site does not appear anywhere in the viewable content of the html advertisement -- it can only be seen by viewing the source code of the page.  The headers of the reported spam indicate quite clearly that the message originated from elsewhere.

Glenn Z.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 6:12 PM
Subject: [Declude.JunkMail] Whats up with blars.org?

This is from their web page:

"In general, an entire netblock is added rather than just a single IP or
customer of a larger ISP. (For example, if hugeisp has a /16 that they
allocate a single /24 to spamcustomer, the /16 will be listed rather than
just the /24.) An entire ISP may be added if they show a pattern of
rejecting valid spam complaints for invalid reasons."

Our local hospital just contacted me (they are not a customer, but I know
their IT guy) that they were blocked by blars.org. They could not even get
to their web page! It seems they are an innocent victim of the above policy
of blocking the whole /16. I would urge anyone using this BL to stop using
it as this gives blocking it's undeserved bad reputation.

Now to see if I can help our hospital out...

Sheldon

Sheldon Koehler, Owner/Partner        http://www.tenforward.com
Ten Forward Communications           360-457-9023
Nationwide access, neighborhood support!

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time
to pause and reflect." Mark Twain

This E-mail came from the Declude.JunkMail mailing list.  To
type "unsubscribe Declude.JunkMail".  The archives can be found