Scott, does the COMMENTS test also catch bogus HTML tags?

No. It is only designed to catch HTML comments that are designed specifically to bypass filters, such as "I am a spa<!-- haha! -->mmer" (which would appear in the mail client as "I am a spammer").

I've seen rather a lot of spam HTML messages where there are deliberate
"bogus tags" like <HUE5MTl> to throw text matching off the scent, whereas
because they look like tags, the e-mail client display doesn't show them at
all.  Text matching on the bogus tags is a waste of energy, because the
spammer changes the bogus tags too often, and sometimes every bogus tag is
different inside a single message.

This is something that we are looking into, as spammers are also using legitimate HTML tags such as "I am a spa<B></B>mmer". What we are thinking about is removing all HTML tags (legitimate or not), and scanning the results.