I think it is a good sign that "mainstream" products are starting to
include DNS BL lookups.  Symantec's products (and similar big names) are
setting somewhat of a de-facto industry standard for the vast majority
of less sophisticated "part-time" mail administrators who are only
casually interested in email issues. I suspect, this will aid in the
broader proliferation of SPAM filtering, give more credence to open
relay databases - hopefully putting more pressure on "innocent" open
relay servers to get their act together and in the long run allowing us
to use them more aggressively.

Currently, the usual defense of ignorant administrators running open
relay or RFC non-compliant SMTP servers is that "we never had a problem
sending to everyone else" - putting US on the defensive trying to
explain why RFCs must be followed so that the variety of hardware,
software, operating system and application brands all can communicate
across the one Internet.

Best Regards
Andy Schmidt

Phone:  +1 201 934-3414 x20 (Business)