I'm trying to track down what I suspect is one or more slow DNS-Based spam
database.  The effect is that mail delivery is slow.  I can get temporary
relief by pointing to a different DNS server.

If you the problem goes away when pointing to a different DNS server, the problem probably is not with the DNSBL.

Short of packet sniffing a
session, is the DNS response time recorded in the logfile for any log level?

Only if you use LOGLEVEL DEBUG (which normally shouldn't be used, as it produces a tremendous amount of log file entries). However, it will show the time that each response is received.

   What is the log entry if a DNS doesn't respond at all for a query?  I
can't see any obvious DNS failures recorded.

Most likely, the packets to the main DNS server are getting dropped occasionally -- that would cause a test to time out.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you have been missing: Ask for a free 30-day evaluation.