I have added the ., to the forward file and now a copy of the message gets
moved to the spambox.  But the message still goes downstream to the
forwarded to Users and does not get picked up as spam.

That is the way that it should work. E-mail that is forwarded from one user to another automatically in IMail (as opposed to aliases or forwarding from a mail client) bypasses any scanning.

I think I follow the logic, of why this is not working: the message comes in
from the outside, a copy is made to be processed by the forwarding Engine,
the external (original message) gets tested, and since I don't have a copy
being saved to the original recipient it doesn't do anything (since I
enabled '.', it does get processed by declude and gets moved to the
spambox--Correctly), the FWD Message does not get tested since it is now
internal to the server, and goes to the downstream users, never getting
tested, no action is taken and spam gets through.  Is this the correct
logic, or am I missing something?

Very close. The forwarding is actually handled by IMail after the E-mail is processed by Declude, so there is no evidence of forwarding when Declude sees the E-mail.

Is there a way around this, such as once the message is moved then it is no
longer forwarded, or that an internal message (the FWD message that gets
processed by the SMTP-FWD) gets scanned by the Junkmail?

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any way around this.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you have been missing: Ask for a free 30-day evaluation.