Now the Declude part...I understand that I have to create a new $Default$.JunkMail file because it handles gatewayed E-mail as outgoing E-mail. To do this I have set up a version of this in the following location:

C:/IMail/Declude/external-domain.com/$Default$.JunkMail

Correct.

Declude Virus is also set up to scan outgoing E-mail.

My question is whether or not is is necessary to set up additional $Default$.JunkMail files under mx1.external-domain.com and mx2.external-domain.com. Although E-mail shouldn't be delivered to these addresses, if a spammer wants to send something to [EMAIL PROTECTED], would my server deliver that message, or drop it as undeliverable (there are no aliases configured for these sub-domains). If it delivers it, then should I set up those additional $Default$.JunkMail files?

If IMail will accept E-mail addressed to @mx1.external-domain.com, then you would need to create a $default$.JunkMail file for that domain. With gateway domains, Declude only sees the actual E-mail address, without any translations that IMail may make.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you've been missing: Ask about our free 30-day evaluation.