From: "IS - Systems Eng. (Karl Drugge)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2003 8:41 AM
Subject: [Declude.JunkMail] Comments on this ?

I have a client that is getting HAMMERED by mass SPAM emailings. In
excess of 500,000 emails a month are getting deleted on an 80 user
network. His Internet connection is totally flooded.  I've been working
with him over the past 9 months or so and have been trying to track
things down to a single spammer or set of spammers.

First, he is the target of the 'reflected email" attack/delivery system.
He was getting loads of these. He still gets these, but only about
100-150,000 a month. The rest are pure garbage items, at a much heavier
than normal load of SPAM for a site of his size. What's curious is that
I have been attempting to run MID level logging in order to get the
connecting IP's, reasoning that if I could find the IP ranges, I could
blow them off at the firewall and spare DECLUDE from having to process
the emails. But, to my surprise, after running a few PERL scripts on the
logs, the number of offending IP's, even listing those with over 50
deletes, is something on the order of over 2,000 ! There are no real
ranges that I can find. If I include servers sending 10 emails that
DECLUDE deletes, I have over 5 thousand for the month. It's a massive
deluge from thousands of servers sending 4 or 5 emails a day. It's
beginning to look that whoever is sending the mail has hundreds of
zombie 'bots out on the internet and can direct them at will.

Short of telling him he needs to just dump his domain name and get a new
one, or co-locate a server upstream at an ISP for Declude, I am out of
answers.

Is anyone else seeing this type of attack ? Are Spammers now using
zombie 'bots ?

Karl Drugge

--- [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude Virus
(http://www.declude.com)] --- This E-mail came from the Declude.JunkMail
mailing list. To unsubscribe, just send an E-mail to
[EMAIL PROTECTED], and type "unsubscribe Declude.JunkMail". The
archives can be found at http://www.mail-archive.com.