This was my thought, as well.  I have already found e-mail that I felt was
spam that had valid SPF records.

I'm curious about this one -- could you let me know the domain?

I think whitelisting E-mail based on an SPF PASS probably isn't a wise idea, but I'm sure that spammers that do use SPF will be much easier to catch (they are providing a list of IPs that they may be spamming from <G>).

> I still have to read up on this some more and figure it all out, but am
> I correct that this matches the MAILFROM address and not something else
> like the the HELO?

I believe it is the domain part of the original sender's e-mail address that
is queried for its txt record.  Scott, is this correct?  However, it appears
to use the list servers domain address if sent from a mailing list.

Normally, it uses the return address of the E-mail (MAILFROM, from the X-Declude-Sender: header). However, if there is a NULL <> return address, or the address isn't valid ("postmaster", for example), then the domain in the HELO/EHLO will be used.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you've been missing: Ask about our free 30-day evaluation.