I need some help with a request I got yesterday from our marketing dept.  I
walk into work yesterday to find that marketing, in their infinite wisdom,
have decided to start doing email marketing.  Of course they didn't involve
any technical people until I stumbled across the rumor of such activity.
They want to use various data sources (like those bowls you drop your
business card into at a restaurant to win a free lunch) to send out
announcements, promotions, special offers etc. I quickly told them that
before they do anything like that they need to sit down and listen to what
some of the ramifications of doing this are.

So here is my dilemma:  These people are VERY non-technical and my greatest
worry as the mail admin is that some "bright" marketing person is going to
sit down with Outlook, plug a bunch of customer names into their address
book and start sending out spam.  I know we fight external spammers but how
do you combat the possibility of one of your users doing so?

I know the benefits of a well-run email marketing campaign, but as we all
know, the difference between that and SPAM is a very thin line.  For
example, I have no idea if we state anywhere that by dropping your business
card in the bowl you agree to receive commercial messages from us (and
therefore I won't let them use that as a source for this.)  I know on our
web site we ask permission but we have never done anything with these lists
of customers before and frankly I don't know the best way to proceed with
this.

How would you go about explaining the technical ramifications of proceeding
with email marketing (ie: potentially getting blacklisted, setting up a good
double opt-in/opt-out mechanism, etc.) to a set of users that won't
understand it if you tell them that you can't just sit down and start
sending away.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Andy Ognenoff
Online Systems Administrator