In the global.cfg file the two lines I've added for SPF are:

SPFPASS                 spf     pass                            x
-5      0
SPFFAIL                 spf     fail                            x
8       0

What I would like to know is what SPF responses fall under the SPFFAIL,
and SPFPASS rules.

If the SPF processing produces a result of PASS, then the SPFPASS test will be triggered. If the SPF processing produces a result of FAIL, then the SPFFAIL test will be triggered. Anything else will not trigger either of those tests.

If a domain does not have any SPF records, or the query times out -
would this also be a SPFFAIL or an SPFPASS?

No. That will produce a result of UNKNOWN, so neither test will get triggered.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers since 2000.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you've been missing: Ask for a free 30-day evaluation.