From: Keith Purtell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 9:03 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Declude.JunkMail] Possible spammer trick with names

I've recently noticed several instances where spam was sent to my home email
account and the subject
line contained the first names of friends with whom I occasionally exchange
email. Not common names
like Bill or Susan, but relatively unusual names. It could be just spammers
luck that they used
names I recognized. But I wonder ... if a virus/worm can collect email
addresses on an infected
device, could it not also collect names and use them in the spamming
process? What are the odds?

Keith Purtell, Web/Network Administrator
VantageMed Corporation (Kansas City office)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message, including any attachments, is
for the sole use of the
information. Any unauthorized
intended recipient, please
message.