Ok this is what I was responding to. You are correct you did not say that
but [] are valid in the HELO string if they are in the form of a well formed
IP. We have a few customers that send mail with the HELO being a wellformed
IP.

> In this case I think it is good enough to consider it spam.  It is not an
RFC compliant helo hostname, and only a spammer is going to include
something > > like brackets "[]" and greater-than/less-than "<>" symbols in
their hostname.  That's good enough for me to reject delivery on.  To me
it's no different > that a spammer trying to send me mail and using my
server's hostname or IP address as their own helo hostname - I reject these
outright.

Kevin Bilbee