Generally it's important to have at least a reference to an online privacy policy when gathering that info, if the privacy policy isn't spelled out in the fine print.  Most paper forms like that will also have some statement as to the purpose of gathering the info as well.

Darin.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 5:01 PM
Subject: [Declude.JunkMail] OT: Order Form email address field

Hey guys and gals. Sorry for the some-what off topic post but I would like your opinion on something.

Should an order form (this is a hard copy order form and not an online web based form) that has a field for an email address also include some sort of disclaimer stating what that email address is going to be used for? The response I get from the sales side of this company is basically "Don't you think it's obvious that we are going to send emails if they write their email address in there?". I also get the "Well everyone asks for your phone number don't they?"  I think in today's world asking for your phone number and email address are two different things. SPAM is the hot topic and is looked at a heck of a lot more than the phone number field on an order form.

Can some of you shed some light on this and possibly point in the direction of the "laws" on this stuff. I am searching for them now.

Thanks for your time!

Tyler