Bud Durland wrote:

There's been an almost hysterical reaction to the ICS announcement. People have right to be angry & disappointed over it; but traffic on he iMail list almost seems like a knee-jerk reaction: "Good lord that's a lot of money -- I'm buying something else right now". If GM decided to only make Cadillacs, does that mean your Chevy is suddenly un-drivable? Your exiting iMail installation isn't going to stop working just because your service agreement ran out. I mean, are there really any "show stopper" bugs in iMail right now?

The problem is this.. at least in my case...

1) I am not going to renew my service agreement because I know that I will not migrate to ICS so why would I spend more money with IPSwitch?

2) Because of #1 I am putting myself in a bind because as soon as a security flaw is found (and they have existed in IMail product) then I have to either go buy a service agreement which I didn't want to do... for $495 in my case... or I can right now make the jump to SmarterMail for $200 and it has a free migration util and I can be in a perfect place again. Sure I lose Calendaring but the calendar in IMail has just been useless because it was in WebMail only so nobody was using it.

I would bet that my situation is the same for others and this is a painful place to be. On the one hand you don't want to waste money, and on the other hand you want to be sure that you'll be on a secure platform so that you won't have your server taken over.