To: "Rick Davidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 3:21 PM
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] Determining a BCC Recipient

Rick,

I am looking at creating our own email archiving solution using sql

This, as Matt notes, could be monstrous. It certainly is not best-practice to store this many CLOBs (or BLOBs, if you're decoding MIME) in a generic DB. That's why the only RDBMS message stores worth their salt are Exchange, Notes (sort of), and the archiving vendors' back ends, as they are purpose-built on both client and server ends.

If  you  do  go  the  RDBMS  route,  you  should  definitely  consider
auto-splitting  by date into separate tables and/or separate databases
to  enable  scaling  out.  However, I'd suggest instead that you use a
well-known  format  such  as  MBOX  and  an  MBOX-aware, high-capacity
indexing/search  product  like  dtSearch. We've used dtSearch Web as a
message archive-and-search mechanism and have been very happy with the
speed (though, admittedly, the display needs a lot of tweaks).

--Sandy

------------------------------------ Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist Broadleaf Systems, a division of Cypress Integrated Systems, Inc. e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

SpamAssassin plugs into Declude!

http://www.mailmage.com/products/software/freeutils/SPAMC32/download/release/

Defuse Dictionary Attacks: Turn Exchange or IMail mailboxes into IMail Aliases!

http://www.mailmage.com/products/software/freeutils/exchange2aliases/download/release/

http://www.mailmage.com/products/software/freeutils/ldap2aliases/download/release/