Thanks, Matt.

For myself, I also found that "DNS cacheing" and "failed domain skipping"
were good ideas in the lab, but bad in the real world.  I had turned them
off before I saw a problem with Hotmail.com, and later with Microsoft.com
itself.  It's a problem with Microsoft and with Ipswitch; Microsoft
advertises hosts that behave in one of two bad ways: there's no host there,
or there is a host but it doesn't accept mail.  In both cases, Ipswitch has
written IMail such that it handles the case badly, and tries to go to the
same host next time.

My workaround was to host dummy domains in my own local DNS, and only
populate their MX records with hosts that respond.  That's weak, because at
some point that list of hosts will change; meanwhile, it's worked great for
months now.  When that does happen, I'll make another trip to DNSReport.com
and see which hosts they have responding and what their names are (Microsoft
is also mixing up their revdns, helo and forward dns, or have no revdns at
all ... so I fix those up too... to avoid false positives on inbound ham...
yeesh).

On the other topic of expanding mailhosts, I pretty well understand my own
circumstances, but was fishing for experiences.  A smart man learns from his
own mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others, eh?

As another example, I was wondering if the question would turn up anybody's
negative experience in dealing with multiple declude logs, or your own
experience in spammers hitting your least preferred MX record, or
troubleshooting problems if everything has the same name and only the IP is
different ...

Andrew (there I go, fishing again!)