> The  biggest  problem  with  the registry is that it is basically an
> opaque  binary  file  structure  that if (when) it gets corrupted is
> almost irretrievable.

It's  irretrievable if people don't have a backup. If people don't run
backups, they shouldn't run mailservers.

The  claim  that  there's  anything  uncomfortably  "opaque" about the
Registry  is absurd, as this could just as well be levied at any RDBMS
data  stores that provide full backup, restore, and ASCII export APIs,
but  which  are  not  intended  to  be  accessed  out-of-band in a hex
editor--a standard scenario across the board of data stores.

> Imail  doesn't know spit about views or use any decent structure, so
> we  have to trick it into thinking the views it's seeing are tables.
> Problem is, updating a view is mighty tricky.

We've  never had any trouble extending IMail to use any combination of
tables  and  views  for a multi-hosting environment, and we've created
SQL-based  architectures  that would make your head spin. I don't know
what you've tried, but you must have barked up some pretty crazy trees
for XML to seem like the future!

SW>> Or  an  XML  file  vs.  a distributed LDAP directory serving up a
SW>> corporate userbase from RAM.

> Yes, more efficient than XML but can/are all parameters stored in the
> directory?

Immaterial.  The  point  is  the _userbase_, which will take the giant
brunt  of  the  traffic  on any mailserver vs. the domainbase. The new
wonder-product   offers   no   substantive  advantange  in  domainbase
management,  and a marked disadvantage in userbase management. Now, if
the  wonder-product were to access the domainbase via LDAP or ODBC _in
addition  to_  accessing  the  userbase  the  same  way, that would be
something to talk about, and a clear advantage over IMail.

> No,  just userbase which then must be matched to other configuration
> parameters and managed separately.

Better  than  the  least-common-denominator  offered by the product in
question.

SW>> syncing to an RDBMS or other directory is not flexibility.

> Web services make it extremely flexible, just not easy.

I'll  say  it  again:  being _forced_ to manually synchronize database
information   between   disparate  back  ends  is  not  "flexibility."
Flexibility is when you can have data served up from industry-standard
back  ends,  _or_  you can optionally sync it up manually from a local
store  if  you  have  some  desire to do so. There's no question to an
application  architect  that what they are offering as a world-beating
"open  system" is just immature: if a plug-in option even existed that
offered,  at  some  point  in the future or via third parties, ODBC or
LDAP  userbases, that would be a step in the right direction, but from
what you've written that isn't the case.

SW>> The  recent  claims that IMail functionality is "behind the times" are
SW>> provable  in  almost  every case, but completely fail when it comes to
SW>> userbase  management.

> Ever restored and Imail registry key from one server to another then
> had to edit the whole thing manually? Disagree on this one.

Yup, I've restored IMail domainbases many, many times. Never batted an
eye.  I'm sure glad I don't have to open an XML editor, too, if I need
to merge domainbases, let alone an IDE.

Hey, this wonder-product is kewl, it's exciting, but it's self-evident
that  its  developers  appear  to have chosen the web service buzzword
over  deeper  attention to the way userbases and databases are used by
extremely  knowledgeable  mail  admins cross-globe and cross-platform.
It's  fruitless  to  pretend that, say, pam_ldap and pam_mysql on *nix
are  just  backward  and what they really need is a good SOAP API to a
local file. Try that on the Postfix list if you need some heat. :)

--Sandy

Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
Broadleaf Systems, a division of
Cypress Integrated Systems, Inc.
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

SpamAssassin plugs into Declude!
  http://www.mailmage.com/products/software/freeutils/SPAMC32/download/release/

Defuse Dictionary Attacks: Turn Exchange or IMail mailboxes into IMail Aliases!

http://www.mailmage.com/products/software/freeutils/exchange2aliases/download/release/

http://www.mailmage.com/products/software/freeutils/ldap2aliases/download/release/