The answer to the original question was a simple "no".  Defrag handles locked files just fine, and I am fairly certain that it will retry multiple times in order to get get a lock on the file for defragmenting, and I believe that IMail also knows how to handle locked files just fine also.

Matt

Kevin Bilbee wrote:
Most of our users are POP3 and we do have seperate mirrored drives for the
spool and the MBX files. But we do have a salesforce that has an 80mb size
limit on thei accounts. There are about 50 sales personell. Otherusers are
given the ability to store messages on the server for up to 7 days.

Then there is the all_mail_delivery account that saves mail for two of the
domains on the server into seperate MBX files and can get up to 1 gig. On
our old hardware I had a process renaming moving the file once a week to an
alternate folder on the same disk. Then moving it off disk.

Athough your answer helps a little it does not answer my origional question.

should I stop qmanager and SMTP before doing the defrag of the user mbx

and spool disks???
Kevin