> That is a valid question. It is free, fast and scalable. I'm looking
> for increased functionality. . .

Beyond the 7-bit/ESMTP functionality?

> . . . reporting, administration and monitoring.

MRTG works with MS SMTP, plus there's SNMP monitoring, etc.

> I would also like to apply some basic policies, such as stripping of
> attachments. But the latter is not a requirement.

Attachment stripping can be done with scripting, as can much more.

Not  trying to push it, it just doesn't seem like you've explained why
it  must  be eliminated from your search. The moment you start looking
for  protocols  beyond  SMTP, that would kick MS SMTP to the curb, but
for a pure MTA. . . .

--Sandy

Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
Broadleaf Systems, a division of
Cypress Integrated Systems, Inc.
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

SpamAssassin plugs into Declude!
  http://www.mailmage.com/products/software/freeutils/SPAMC32/download/release/

Defuse Dictionary Attacks: Turn Exchange or IMail mailboxes into IMail Aliases!

http://www.mailmage.com/products/software/freeutils/exchange2aliases/download/release/

http://www.mailmage.com/products/software/freeutils/ldap2aliases/download/release/