Title: Message
Well, in my continuing research I came up with something from Microsoft's site that claims that you can only use this to serve "Web" stuff.  Obviously a licensing restriction and not an issue with capabilities.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/overview/web.mspx

I haven't seen the EULA for this, so I can't be really clear on what is going on, and we all know that MS's licensing is a mess that they can't even figure out.

Web Edition is also only sold as OEM, and from my research on OEM, it says that the license is bound to the "server" and not transferable.  The issue of course is what constitutes the "server".  I don't believe that they choose to enforce that based on my experiences with re-validating with their folks in India.

I kind of have this principle that if you aren't going to license something properly, why bother in the first place.  So if I'm going to install Windows 2003, I think I am going to stick to Standard Edition and get a non-OEM license for that.  I've been able to pick up a copy on eBay for $500, and should be able to find more at that price.  The boxed stuff is in fact transferable, and I stay away from the NFR and promotional copies since those too are not valid for a production environment.

I don't want to give the impression that I am perfectly licensed everywhere because I'm not, I just like to pay to be properly licensed when I can justify it for my business and not pay for something that still wouldn't be perfectly kosher.  I would also much rather pay Declude or other small companies more money rather than Microsoft however...if I was rich though, I wouldn't complain at all.  At least we have eBay.

Matt

Colbeck, Andrew wrote:
I've no comment to offer on the suitability of flavour of Windows 2003 for IMail, but I can comment on how the Hyperthreading is treated.

On all Windows 2003 servers with hyperthreading enabled, you will see double the number of physical CPUs in the Task Manager, in the Device Manager, and in WinMSD.  This lets applications see 4 CPUs on a dual server.  However for thread scheduling and for licencing the OS, the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) knows which ones are the physical CPUs and which are the virtual CPUs.

Windows 2000 servers do not have that distinction, and Microsoft will not back-port the logic from W2K3 to W2K.  W2K sees hyperthreading virtual CPUs as physical CPUs, so you would get into licencing issues if the number of CPUs exceeds your licence.

You would also get into performance issues because Microsoft simply uses the first CPUs it sees and ignores the ones that exceed your licence; as the order of discovery is physical, virtual, physical, virtual... you end up using half physical and half virtual CPUs, when what you want are only the CPUs that are physical to fit in your licence constraint.  Therefore, if you have a licencing problem with W2K, either upgrade to W2K3 or turn off hyperthreading.

Andrew 8)