...and here's a link to something that would be very easy to not pay any attention to but could cause such a crash:

   http://www.mail-archive.com/imail_forum@list.ipswitch.com/msg82470.html

Happy hunting.

Matt

Matt wrote:

I've seen a lot of posts about this over the years on the IMail list. It is likely an IMail issue. The suggestion to turn on "Auto-deny possible hack attempts" in IMail's SMTP Security is one possible fix, and you didn't indicate anything in regard to that suggestion. You might try searching the archives for the IMail list on mail-archive.org for what others have experienced and potentially the fixes. If you have a support agreement with Ipswitch, you might also try that route as they should be familiar with the condition. It seems hit or miss as to who experiences it, but I can't recall ever seeing Queue Manager crash on my box, and the only IMail related crash was POP3 which happened twice after migrating to Windows 2003, but I think that McAfee was the culprit that caused the instability.

Matt

Heimir Eidskrem wrote:

Just a few minutes ago the Que manager stopped.
I did restart it fine this time.

What could this be?

H.

Heimir Eidskrem wrote:

Thank you for the reply.

Running 1.82 actually.
Imail monitor is off.

Its a dual Xeon 3.0GHz with 2GB Ram.
Load is pretty low. About a million emails a month.
No evidence of extra load.

I did turn off the auto restart.

Lets see if that makes a change or not...

Thanks,

Matt wrote:

Turn off the IMail Monitor service and see if things don't become more stable. There have been suggestions that it will try to restart a service that is only overwhelmed but not crashed, and the restarting process can then actually cause it to crash. Windows 2003 services have their own recovery capabilities that should be more stable. I have seen this happen before. It is quite possible that some added load might be pushing your server to the limit, or maybe a piece of content that IMail doesn't like seeing and Declude isn't filtering. I've heard of that happening in the past also. Turn on "Auto-deny possible hack attempts" in IMail's SMTP Security if that isn't already on as this might also be the result of an overflow condition during the SMTP session.

Declude 1.81 has a big flaw in it with the SPAMHEADERS test and you should upgrade to at least 1.82. This shouldn't explain the instability.

You should give some more detail about your server, especially conditions related to load if this continues. There are many of us running 1.82 without issues, and with SP1 my own server seems stable and I have a good deal of volume going through it.

Matt

Heimir Eidskrem wrote:

We are crashing like crazy today, quemanager status goes to stop pending.
Can not restart it, have to restart the server.

Imail 8.15 with fix
Declude 1.81
Fprot 3.16b
Windows 2003 Server Standard with Sp1.

Suggestions please....

cott_powner wrote:

Sorry about not getting back to anyone – some malcontent set up a winmx server in my network! Anyway the bottom line right now is:

Declude 1.81 - No problems for about a million years

Declude 2.0.6 - Imail crashes for two days

Reinstalled Declude 1.81 - No crashes for 1 day

Installed SP1 with Declude 1.81 - No crashes for ½ day but it seems to run slower

Any thoughts – we are going to let SP1 run through the night. If it still seems slow to access mail we will remove SP1 in the A.M.

Thanks,

Scott Powner