> doubts about the legality of some such provisions in boxed EULA's.  I
> was on the phone yesterday with WebTrends where they told me that my
> copy of their software wasn't legitimate because I wasn't the original
> owner and they don't transfer licenses...this is the same company that
> moved from differentiating versions/prices of their software based on
> functionality to one that was based on the number of profiles that you
> had configured, to now basing it on the number of page views that their
> reports generate.  They even lock you out of their KB unless you have a
> support contract with them...Egad!  I say let them rot!

We were a Webtrends customer until their latest round of pricing change.  We
were paying about $4K a year in maintenance costs - but than they changed
their pricing model as you indicate.  It would have costed us about 25 times
our normal maintenance cost to continue with 7.0 due to our page view
volume.  Long story short we are parting ways after our one year grace
period of 7.0 ends.

I can't really say I am sad - for a high volume site (90+ million page
views) I have always had issues keeping the product stable.  Unless
everything was limited data corruption seemed to be a frequent issue.  Boy
was I thankful for the archive function in it.

Darrell