Seems like it'd be trivial to write, hooking their svcUserAdmin.asmx and svcDomainAliasAdmin.asmx (GetAliases and GetUsers). Yeah, it'd be nice if they do it natively, but it looks like a 1 hour project to do it "manually". Guess I wouldn't be too worked up about that.

Jonathan

Dave Doherty wrote:

You are right. IMail has no such feature, either. With Imail, I currently take the user data right from the registry using the .NET registry classes, reformat it, and send it on to my gateway. Of course, if you use an external database with Imail you can run queries against that.

It just seems so logical that since SM (a) uses XML and (b) provides a gateway function, that they would provide a communication channel between the mailbox and the gateway to allow for rejection of bad addresses at the gateway. It would be so easy, and so valuable to do.

Anyway, lacking that, and also missing some of the Declude/Imail features, I opted to wait to see if they do better with version 3. I put in the feature request, so maybe they are listening...

Having said all that, the product looks very nice, and I agree with all that the web interface is far "smarter" looking than Imail's.

-d

hmm .. .I think I'm confused. You're saying Imail has a way to load user accounts for gateway systems? All I've ever seen is the host file hack for adding gateway domains, but I've never seen a way to load user accounts. Am I missing something?

Sidenote, I assume SmarterMail can act as a domain filtering gateway with Declude, right? Pretty sure I saw some marketing spam saying it could ..

Jonathan