Hi Will,

We just had this problem twice in the past week.  We're running IMail 8.05
and Declude Junkmail/Virus 1.82.

The first took us most of the day to recover, with significant effort on our
part, and a delay in delivery of about 4 hours for some email.   It was
caused by a new customer sending out a large newsletter through the wrong
server.  Outbound scanning overloaded Declude, so we turned that off by
commenting out the lines in the Global.CFG file, moved all of the newsletter
messages in overflow back to the IMail spool directory for normal delivery
(bypassing scanning), and manually got rid of spam messages from overflow.
After all of that we only ended up with a few hundred messages in overflow,
which Declude processed in about 4 hours.

The second time was due to backscatter from a joe job.  Thousands of
messages were being bounced back to one of our users.  The attack was
distributed, so we could not block by IP, but fortunately it only lasted
about 15 minutes.  We removed the bounce messages from the overflow and were
able to process all overflow messages in about 45 minutes after the attack.

So, to your problem...  You might consider turning off outbound scanning or
directing outbound mail through a separate server.  You also might look for
DNSBLs and RHSBLs that are timing out (might need to go to Log High or Debug
for this).

<rant on>
During the second incident we called Declude support, but were disappointed
in their lack of knowledge and support for the 1.82 product, despite the
fact that they are recommending to customers to use it instead of 2.0x.  We
were told that "it was Scott's code", so they would have to go look at the
code and call us back.  When they called back, the answer was either
incomplete or incorrect...as we were told that 1.82 would use the number of
processes specified in IMail's settings.  From that we figured they had to
mean Queue Manager settings, but that didn't match at all since we were
seeing a max of 30 declude processes, and IMail was set for 60.  We later
upped IMail to 100 processes as a test, restarted services, and the number
of declude processes remained relatively constant at 30.  We were also given
no indication as to why declude processes were hanging around for hours....
just told, "oh you can kill those" without any concern over what might
happen to the messages.  At one point we were also told "the messages would
be delivered eventually".  We tried to explain that our customers depended
on timely delivery of all legitimate email, but the explanation seemed to
fall on deaf ears.  The only thing the support tech seemed to want to talk
about was the 3.0 release he was working on, not on assisting with a
resolution to a problem with the last stable product released by Declude.

Anyway, my apologies for the rant, but for the one time in two years to call
for support, I was extremely disappointed in Declude support, with their
lack of knowledge of the product they are selling, with the attention to the
customer problem, and with the cavalier attitude throughout the process.
This is inexcusable, but has been a growing concern throughout the year with
all of the woes regarding the 2.0x product.
<rant off>

Darin.