Actually, we have tried both but have not found the culprit(s) yet. Although my partner believes he saw a spike in traffic coming in as a Telenet session from an unexpected origin - rrcs-74-39-200-122.nys.biz.rr.com which on searching with google appears not too uncommon - that is hacks, spam and spyware from users of biz.rr.com.

This has us planning to try to isolate which IP address(es) attacks may be coming in on and shut them down.

Regarding telnet - apparently there is a problem with windows 2003 and iMail. If my source is correct one can telnet into a Windows 2003 system running iMail (pick a version) on port 25 and get by the authentication. Again, my source told me that neither Micosoft nor Ipswitch has come up with a way to stop this. It appears only to be a problem on Windows 2003, not Windows 2000.