To: Declude.JunkMail@declude.com
Sent: Monday, December 26, 2005 3:03 PM
Subject: [Declude.JunkMail] Restarting decludeproc to fix mail backups/dns problems

I left my mail server alone over the weekend and apparently on the 24th about 1:15pm EST the server could no longer query any DNS servers and mail backed up with around 500,000 messages in the proc folder.

I attempted to perform nslookup on my four available DNS servers (which are configured in Imail), but the mail server would come back with an error that the server could not be contacted for each attempt. However, from a separate workstation, I would get responses from all my DNS servers. I attempted to restart the decludeproc service and it timed out. I killed it manually, restarted it and I could once again query my DNS servers with nslookup and mail began to process again. I upssed the threads from 60 to 100 in an effort to process backlogged messages, but a few hours later the same DNS issues came up again.

This happened to me four times today between 9:00am and 3:00pm, which I can only assume was due to the huge overhead of processing so much mail. I copied and purged my spool directory and processing is back to normal, but I now have customers with lost mail unless I can feed mail back into the spool. But with 500,000 messages, It will be a full time job making sure the decludeproc stays functional.

Any ideas?

It would appear that decludeproc is locking up, which I would guess to be due to overwhelming mail. I normally receive between 100k and 200k messages per day. Mostly spam. With it being backup up, it looks like having half a million files in the proc directory was too much for it to keep running properly.

Windows 2003 sp1
Imail 8.12  (no relay, 3000 accounts)
Imail Anti-Spam disabled
Declude 3.0.5.22  (virus and junkmail)
Fprot antivirus (realtime scanner not installed)

Will
---
[This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude EVA www.declude.com]