I'm sure that they won't want the worst of the worst to come in using this manner, but I do see most bulk-mail services paying for protection.  Places like Roving.com/Constant Contact, which have issues with some of their customers spamming and frequently being blacklisted, will no doubt pay the fee just like they pay for protection from BondedSender.  This means that such places can continue to offer a service that can't guarantee that they aren't being used to spam and at least get through to the biggest providers that sign on to the system in exchange for money.  I can also see places like astrology.com who are member based, but operate a spamming service for third-parties to their subscribers (which is widely considered to be spam when one source sends you off-topic advertising).  Places like this could then pay for protection, and then places like The University of Phoenix Online, Omaha Steaks, etc. will flock to these places in order to get their spam through instead of using spam services that can't claim the penetration.

It just seems like a sell-out of their customer base, as well as extortion of legitimate providers that can get caught in the far less than perfect traps (kind of like digging a pothole in front of your tire store).  I really hate it when customers (end-users) are taken advantage of in this way.

Matt

Robert E. Spivack wrote:
I'm not sure about that - I think a lot of the hardcore spammers (and I mean
that both figuratively and literally) will be reticent to pay anything, even
fractional cents, to send their spam.

Their margins assume virtually free cost of sending millions of spam and
even factional pennies add up.

More importantly, paying in this program means they have to leave an audit
trail (their payment) which can help in tracking down illegal or abusive
spammers.

I don't think the worst offenders will participate.

As much as my first impression is against this for the reasons quoted (seems
to be blackmail forcing legitimate mailers to pay money) it does seem to be
aimed at deep pocket, legitimate mailers such as eBay, Car companies, and
other big brands that are getting a lot of their mail blocked.

The problem is since no one can agree exactly on what is spam or ham, the
abuse potential is huge.  They could just start marking everything spam to
raise their income and penalize anyone that does business by sending out
legitimate emails (purchase receipts, customer opt-in newsletters, etc.)