Hi, All-

Sorry for the long-winded nature of this post, but I think it shuold be detailed enough to document the issue, and it's not really an obvious cause and effect relationship. So here goes:

There are two types of domains at which I can receive mail. Let's call them "home" domains and "alias" domains. In my case the "home" domain is newsource.com. I have several alias domains, including skywaves.net, which is where I get nearly all of my messages.

Incoming messages for the home domain are considered inbound (duh!), and they are processed according to the instructions contained in default.junkmail. If the action is "mailbox spam" the message goes into the spam folder.

Incoming messages for the alias domains are considered outbound (not duh!), and they are processed according to the outbound section of global.cfg. If the action is "mailbox spam" the message is actually readddressed to dave+spam, after which it appears that it is reintroduced to the system with that address. Here there can be a problem. If plus addressing is not enabled for the user, or if the action is "put the message in the folder if it exists" and the folder doesn't exist, the message will be bounced with an "user unknown" error, confusing the sender who clearly did not send a message to dave+spam.

So if someone sends me a message at newsource.com, the action can be quite different than if he sends the same message to me at skywaves.net. Of course, this is true also if there are different entries in global.cfg's outbound actions and default.junkmail's inbounds, also, but the bounce mechanism I described is not one that would necessarily be obvious.

Since the default in SM is plus addressing disabled, and the default action when it is first enabled is "put the message in the folder if it exists", there are two individual actions that must be taken in SM to rectify this problem. This can only be done on the domain and user levels, so it must be set for each new domain. I would expect this to be first-time-user or just-added-a-domain kind of issue in most cases.

- Dave Doherty
Skywaves, Inc.