One big reason why it sucks is that you it's limited ability to either
allow or deny recursion.  There's no middle ground, where you can allow
recursive lookups from certain IPs but not from others.  This reflects
poor product and security design.

However, I really have no idea why you would need to take your DNS
offline to edit your zones.  There are many tools available that allow
you to edit your zones in a scripted fashion while DNS service remains
online.  Regardless, even if you take your primary DNS server offline
for a few minutes, things should still be functional on your secondary
DNS servers ...  You can also edit your zone files manually en-mass and
then simply restart the service and the changes will be picked up
immediately.  Or if you need to add a wildcard manually, you can just
right click the zone and reload it.

As towards the original question, I'm not sure what your budget is but
your mail volumes are fairly low.  If you get a dual procesor machine, 2
gigs of ram, and have one RAID array for OS/spool/logging and another
for your mail data your setup should be very fast and last you a long,
long time at your current message volumes.  Note that I'm referring to
separate physical RAID arrays (ex, different set of physical drives) -
not simply different logical partitions on the same RAID array.

If you wanted to get really wild and crazy, you could also setup
separate RAID arrays or even single drives for your spool and logs, but
that shouldn't be necessary given your mail volume.  We currently
process over 200,000 messages per day on SmarterMail with 2 SATA RAID
arrays, also running Declude Suite, Sniffer, F-Prot, etc.

-Jay