Hi Matt-

In any event, the root servers will return a list of name servers. If the first name server returned is offline, then the DNS client should try the second, regardless of which is considered "primary" and which is "secondary" as far as the registrar is concerned.

I only raise the issues about primary and secondary because all my domains have dns.skywaves.net as the primary. That is a deicated name server on a DS3, and it is never remotely overloaded. But dns.skywaves.com, on a separate line at home, gets an awful lot of inquiries.

-d