Comment's inline, Darrell Chris Anton writes:
1) Has anyone experienced recent spikes like this? How can I reasonably >handle
this?

Yes, we have very often see signifigant swings in spam. How to handle it is a good question. That typically depends on what the spam campaign is. We have found recipient address validation helps the most. We than do analysis (using DLAnalyzer IP reports) and find the IP addresses who send the most spam and block those.

I have run several analytics and found that these emails are not targeting > a
specific user or specific domain.  Additionally, there are no blocks of > IPs that
are responsible.

Is it spam going to valid users? Or just your generic dictionary attacks?

2) What are the realistic limits of Imail / Declude / Message Sniffer (I >KNOW
this is platform specific, just looking for ballpark).
3) What can I do to squeze out more juice from this server?
Software: IMail 8.22 (because we are still scared of 2006), Declude Virus >and
Junkmail 2.0.6, and Sniffer most recent version
Hardware: Windows Server 2003 box with a 3 ghz XEON, and 1 Gig ram.

On some of the server I maintain we are doing 150K messages a day on a dual xeon 2.6ghz. With no issues (invURIBL, Sniffer). What is your current CPU usage like? Darrell