  From: Colbeck, Andrew
  To: declude.junkmail@declude.com
  Sent: Monday, December 18, 2006 06:33 PM
  Subject: RE: [Declude.JunkMail] WAY OT: Registry Repair

  Andy, five will get you ten that it is the permissions that are mangled, not
the key itself.

  Run RegEdit.exe and right-click on the Run key, then choose "Permissions".

  Go into the "Advanced" button and choose to "Inherit from parent..." and the
permissions should get fixed up.

  You should see:

  Allow    Users (local machine name)          Read
  Allow    Power Users (local machine name)    Special
  Allow    Administrators (local machine name) Full Control
  Allow    SYSTEM                              Full Control
  Allow    CREATOR OWNER                       Full Control

  Aside from administrative error, the only times I've seen the permissions
modified on this part of the registry is if the bad guys are trying to retain
control of a 'bot.

  Andrew 8)