Thanks for reply and helping me decide best to remove these notifications
all together. It seems the Declude manual would warn against same.

-Don

  _____

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Matt
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 8:03 AM
To: declude.junkmail@declude.com
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] Stopping Unwanted Virus Notifications

Don,

More than 99% of viruses forge the sender, so therefore there is no utility
in notifying anyone since 99% of it would be misplaced.  The only
non-forging viruses that you are likely to see are macro viruses and they
are quite rare these days.

The only notifications that I send out are from bannotify.eml which is for
banned extensions.  These will only be triggered when a banned extension is
seen and a virus is not detected.  I also skip sending these for encrypted
archives using the following in my bannotify.eml file:

SKIPIFEXT ZIP-EXE
SKIPIFEXT ZIP-SCR
SKIPIFEXT ZIP-PIF
SKIPIFEXT ZIP-COM
SKIPIFEXT RAR-EXE
SKIPIFEXT RAR-SCR
SKIPIFEXT RAR-PIF
SKIPIFEXT RAR-COM

You should also add a SKIPIFEXT line for every BANNAME entry in your
virus.cfg file.

Still with this config, during an outbreak like the one last week where my
scanners lagged detection by one to two days, I was creating a ton of
backscatter.  This can be improved by running JunkMail before Virus and
applying an action of either HOLD or DELETE on certain weights so that such
messages if scored high enough, will not need to be bounced.  If you use
ROUTETO and have only one domain that you capture spam in, then you should
also add to your bannnotify.eml file a line that has "SKIPIFRECIP
@your-capture-domain.com" so that things that are captured as spam, but not
deleted, will not generate bannotify.eml bounces.

During any given time my system receives between 5% an 10% of all connection
traffic from backscatter, virtually all of it to invalid addresses on the
domains that I protect.  This volume is so tremendous that it out paces
legitimate E-mail by as much as three times.  I would implore everyone here
to stop using postmaster.eml, sender.eml and recipient.eml bounces entirely
even if they take care to try to keep up with forging virus names.  When
over 99% of it is forging, it makes no sense to be bouncing any of it when
it is detected as a virus.

Matt

Don Schreiner wrote:

I am looking for the best approach to stop notifications to both sender and
recipients of virus detection (to reduce what I call back scatter). However,
if one of our own customers sends an e-mail and whereas a virus is detected,
I certainly want them to receive a notification about same so they can check
their computer. What is the best way to set this up in Declude 4.0+?

Reviewing the Declude Manual for 4.08 (while it does not specifically state
this), if you remove the Recipient.eml and the Postmaster.eml, this would be
one method to stop the notifications, but I am unsure what other wanted
notification functions this would break?

Another approach I used prior to upgrade was to modify the EML files with
the following. I am not sure this is still the best approach? Is there a
more up-to-date list of Virus' that forge the sender address?

SKIPIFVIRUSNAMEHAS Magistr

SKIPIFVIRUSNAMEHAS Vulnerability

SKIPIFVIRUSNAMEHAS Klez

SKIPIFVIRUSNAMEHAS Bugbear

SKIPIFVIRUSNAMEHAS W32/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

SKIPIFVIRUSNAMEHAS W32/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks.

-Don