I did the migration from IMail 8.05 to SmarterMail 4 and it was pretty painless. One thing to watch out for is that if you take your root accounts over from IMail, change your passwords on those accounts right away! The default root account password is widely known and even if you disable the account SmarterMail will still accept mail through the system. I would also add root to the "SMTP Blocked Senders" list in the admin console to keep this from happening.

Good luck with your migration,

Mike