Hi All,

This is is off-topic, but the people here seemed to always be ahead of the
game with these kinds of problems.  I wanted to know if what I'm
experiencing is some sort of trojan or virus, or just bad luck.

We have had two unrelated systems (one desktop, the other a notebook, on
different networks in different states) experiencing the same problem with a
week of each other.  The short description of the problem is this:

The system hive under Windows XP Pro becomes corrupt (when you boot, this
leads to a message about \windows\system32\config\system being unreadable).
You can replace the system hive (typically, you boot to the Recovery Console
and then copy over the system hive from \windows\system32\repair), but that
version only works a short while before also becoming corrupt.  If you get
the System hive to be somewhat stable and boot into Safe Mode, the System
Restore Point software works sporadically or not at all.  Other services and
programs seem to crash randomly or not load at all.  Hardware failure has
been ruled out.  There are no major new software installations.  The systems
had been operating fine for at least a year previously.

Any ideas?  The fact that the problems persist (if the System hive just was
corrupt from a power failure, for example, then it would stay fixed after
being replaced) suggests a software issue.  Since there is no new software
installation on either system, that makes me suspect a trojan or backdoor or
something.

Sorry for being off-topic, but I do appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Ben
BC Web