So if my server's local IP is 192.168.0.4 and I have simply installed the DNS service, I can change Imail's SMTP settings to include 192.168.0.4 as one of my DNS servers?

I would use 127.0.0.1 as it speeds things up a bit opposed to using the IP address.

In my Network Connection applet in the control panel, I can also put 192.168.0.4 as my primary DNS IP? (I also have 2 external ones from my ISP.) And I can do this without adding any forward or reverse lookup zones?

Yes, you can do that. The caching dns server will find that netsol is authoritative for your dns and end up querying the correct dns servers for your domain.

On my old server, someone had setup a Forward Lookup Zone....

You can do this, but its not necessary.

Could this be the problem with not being able to reach certain domains via SMTP (the other problem I posted earlier)? It seems like there was domain name resolution, but our connection was being halted by the recipient server - I'm not sure why DNS would be involved in that - just checking.

No this would not be the issue since your logs show you connecting to the server. However, as John suggested I would turn off all the DNS caching that Imail does for the Queuemgr it causes a lot of problems.

Darrell