You seem to have failed to ask the actual question here.

If you create the domain locally, you must create all records on the public domain for full DNS functionality to be maintained. Just creating one record will result in lookup failures for all other records on that domain.

Matt

Michael Hoyt wrote:
Sorry for the off topic post but I know someone here will have a easy answer
to this question.

I currently host DNS records for our Active Directory domain on our domain
controller (Win 2003 with local domain "COMMARTS.LAN") and want to create a
local only NON-AUTHORITATIVE "A" and associated "PTR" record for
image.commarts.com while the AUTHORITATIVE commarts.com DNS records are
hosted by our ISP.  I need to do this temporarily while we are developing
the website and want the record to be  available to my Active Directory
members without having to mess with local hosts files.

Thank you in advance,