I'm sure that there are many opinions around here, but I don't think that servers should be the place where you enforce security with a software firewall. Although you might like some of what it tells you, I would think that a firewall and AV software would do the trick perfectly fine. Of course you can tune your firewall to your heart's content, and do things like limit outgoing ports, run IDS, etc. If you have enough servers, you might also want to set up off-site vulnerability scanning on a scheduled basis. If you are worried about inside your network you should set up VLANs.

As we saw a couple of years ago with Blackice, and then again last year with Symantec Corporate, software that intercepts packets from the network are themselves vulnerable to exploitation, and this is a good reason to use a hardware firewall as at least a first level of defense, and only allow in what is necessary.

Matt

Howard Smith (N.O.R.A.D.) wrote:
To replace blackice functions as to load on a server  and monitor and block
what applications sends out on individual ports . I have an offending app or
task that trying to send out on random ports , I am trying to find it and
block it Howard Smith
N.O.R.A.D. Inc.
P.O. Box 680116
Miami, Florida 33168 www.norad.com www.securetrek.com
www.siteshuttle.com
www.audiovideotrek.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Office - (305) NETWORK (638-9675)
Sales - (786) 206-0045
Fax 1 - (305) 359-5144
Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including any Attachments, is
contact  [EMAIL PROTECTED] by email and destroy all copies of the original
message.