Alexander, you are really citing two problems with your scale and
performance.

The first is that you have older hardware and lots of mailboxes. Where
do your CPU and disk spend their time? On antispam, or on servicing
connections and mailboxes?

The second is that your spam detection is less than desired.

My suggestion is that both problems would be relieved by introducing a
mail gateway in front of your mailboxes. In the Windows world, Alligate
and XWall are popular with Declude/Sniffer users on this list and the
Sniffer support list. With either one, I think you will find that the
gateway will take the brunt of the antispam effort, leaving the back-end
server to service mailbox connections and requests.

I bought Alligate and love it, so I'm greatly biased towards it.

I would suggest that if your hardware is old, Craig has some very good
practical advice about an upgrade.

If you just upgrade, you can "out race" the spammers again, but if you
put a gateway in place, you have better options.

If your existing hardware is old, you could replace the fans and disks
and have it become your new gateway, while you purchase some new
hardware for your back-end, which will scale much higher than before
once the back-end has to do less antispam processing.

Andrew.

p.s. Did you have a third problem? Were you implying that the
feature-set of IMail is no longer to your liking?