Actually, I was reading this when I thought of it, and thinking of how
INVURIBL reads the links

inside of an e-mail and then compares them to a configured RBL, like the
recommended Invaluement paid subscription.

http://www.blue-quartz.com/rbl/

It would be much more efficient to store large numbers of IPs in DNS than it
would a plain text blacklist, wouldn't it - or am I wrong about that?

This is the relevant quote from this page:

If a blacklisted IP address is in your rbl database it will "exist" in the
DNS system.

For example:

if you blacklisted IP 89.40.1.32

then doing a regular DNS lookup like this:

nslookup test.rbl.mydomain.com

nslookup 32.1.40.89.rbl.mydomain.com

should result in a match of 127.0.0.2

I haven't figured out how to get the e-mail harvesting IP blocks out of
SmarterMail yet, but if I could, then if I could script-insert them into DNS
and then use that as a local RBL, do you think that would be an effective
tool?  Those are the spammers that are banging on my door, right?

-- Michael Cummins