>We have an IMGate box setting in front of our IMail box and I am noticing
>that the %REMOTEIP% variable is sometimes filled in with the IP of the
>Postfix box and sometimes with an external (not ours) IP address.
>
>Is this typical?  Why would it be inconsistant in what it displays?

That is typical, if your MX record has both the IMGate and IMail servers
listed in it.  Many spammers will intentionally send E-mail directly to a
backup MX record, hoping that it will bypass any scanning.

If you are using Declude JunkMail in a setup like this, you can use a line
"IPBYPASS 127.0.0.1" (replacing 127.0.0.1 with the IP address of your
IMGate box) so that Declude can still scan the E-mail if it comes in
directly to the IMail server.  Declude Virus doesn't require any changes to
scan the E-mail.