tel/fax: (541) 839-6027  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of R. Scott Perry
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2002 5:59 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Declude.Virus] New computer virus can infect picture files

>This just sucks!
>
>http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99522.htm
>
>New computer virus can infect picture files

This sounds like just a scare tactic, and until more information can be
provided, should be treated as such.

Data is just data, and can NOT normally contain a virus.  Cases where it
could contain a virus are if the data isn't just data and allows code in it
(IE a Word .DOC file or Excel .XLS file that contains macros), or
potentially if the software used to view it has a buffer overrun problem.

If this is a case of a buffer overrun, then the infected picture would only
affect computers running the affected viewer.

And, it should be relatively easy to detect virus code in a data file.

>The virus still needs modifications to become dangerous, because it arrives
>as a program file that can be attached to an e-mail.

This is where the article makes no sense.  If it's a picture that can
infect people, why is the prototype an .EXE file?