212.173.132.2  is ALSO the address of our intranet, it's served from the
same server and mailgate.sidcot.co.uk resolves to this IP. I have stopped
the intranet server but no improvement.

My guess here is that you have a firewall that is blocking the packets -- upon inspection with a packet sniffer, it seems that packets to 212.173.132.2 port 25 are being dropped (with no response coming back), whereas if IMail was blocking the connection, it would send back some response packets.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you have been missing: Ask for a free 30-day evaluation.