This list is generated from Microsoft's default exclusions in Outlook (the $500 billion virus solution is to turn off all executable attachments...)

I'm not a fan of going overboard here, especially with things that I don't understand where they might be used (and I'm well aware that others disagree).  I ban about 5 extensions and that seems to have done the trick with most of these viruses lately as a pre-emptive solution.  I allow EXE files through my server also, and no customers (including systems integrators) have asked that I block things like EXE's.  I'm sure that I could expand my list a bit more without harm, but I'm thinking there is a middle ground between where I am and where this list goes.

Feel free to point out the flaws in my thinking.

BTW, I like the format of this notification.

Matt

R. Lee Heath wrote:
Thought some here would find this interesting. This is the banned
extensions at Bechtel.. the prominent information resource... and
their responder message.

File(s): document.scr

Matching filename: *.scr

Your attachment did not reach the intended recipient.  To protect Bechtel's
network from  viruses or other potentially harmful files, the following types of
attachments are not allowed to enter or leave the Bechtel network:

. ADE  Microsoft Access Project Extension
. ADP  Microsoft Access Project
. BAS  Visual Basic? Class Module
. BAT  Batch File
. CHM  Compiled HTML Help File
. CMD  Windows NT? Command Script
. COM  MS-DOS? Application
. CPL  Control Panel Extension
. CRT  Security Certificate
. EXE  Application
. HLP  Windows? Help File
. HTA  HTML Applications
. INF  Setup Information File
. INS  Internet Communication Settings
. ISP  Internet Communication Settings
. JS   JScript? File
. JSE  JScript Encoded Script File
. LNK  Shortcut
. MSC  Microsoft Common Console Document
. MSI  Windows Installer Package
. MSP  Windows Installer Patch
. MST  Visual Test Source File
. PCD  Photo CD Image
. PIF  Shortcut to MS-DOS Program
. REG  Registration Entries
. SCR  Screen Saver
. SCT  Windows Script Component
. SHS  Shell Scrap Object
. URL  Internet Shortcut (Uniform Resource Locator)
. VB   VBScript File
. VBE  VBScript Encoded Script File
. VBS  VBScript Script File
. WSC  Windows Script Component
. WSF  Windows Script File
. WSH  Windows Scripting Host Settings File

To successfully send an attachment listed above to or from the Bechtel network, try one of the following options:
1.) Rename the file before attaching it to the email.  For example, rename EXAMPLE.EXE to EXAMPLE_EXE.  Make sure to add a note in the email to rename the extension back to .EXE when it arrives.
2.) ZIP the file and rename to a file type not listed above.  Attached the ZIP file to the email.
3.) Instead of sending URL attachments, copy and paste the Web address into the email (i.e. http://www.example.com/default.htm).

For further assistance within Bechtel, please contact your local helpdesk.

--
Roger Heath
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

MailPure custom filters for Declude JunkMail Pro.
http://www.mailpure.com/software/