Hi;

I read several postings regarding how to combat the Zip fiasco..

I recently sent an email to WinZip and simply told them that if they don't
do something their product will soon be blocked by many ISP's.

I think the only way out of this is for applications to become responsible.
It is an easy programming paradigm.. Leave things the way you found it ..
Report errors to the error object and only do what you are supposed to do..
Long story but everyone in this list pretty much knows the routine.

For things to stop propagating WinZip and WinRAR and other applications have
to start allowing AV software to integrate themselves with their
application.  For example- A Word file will warn you of a Macro before
allowing the file to open.  There is no reason for WinZip not to do
something similar.

If WinZip and WinRAR and others want to help with this madness they have to
not allow a virus to open .. So even if our mailservers pass them on - the
end user won't be able to open it.

Believe me we can't blame the end user for not knowing .. & people that
don't know are not necessarily dumb..  They just don't know.  Not everyone
reads 500 messages posted to an admin list on a daily basis.. and follows
all the computer news..  Some of wish we did not have to either!!!

Last night I spent four hours helping my cousin clean his computer over the
phone.. He was going to buy another computer because "this one keeps
shutting down... ".  After an hour of debugging over the phone and helping
him run his "4 months out of date virus scanner" we found 3 viruses.  The
guy has 3 PhD's and is an MD as well as a university professor and a
surgeon...

The paradigm of blame has to shift..

Regards,
Kami